Saturday, July 26, 2014

Andal and Adippooram

There are moments in our lives however rare, that we are assured of the Divine blessings.One such moment in my life-

I was reading thru a special edition on the Srivillipputthoor temple by  Kalki magazine.This issue spoke about the life and times of Sri Andal , the Thiruppaavai, the paasuram ‘vaaranam aayiram’ where Andal recollects her dream marriage to Sri Ranganathar and the temple utsavs during Aadi and Margazhi. While going thru that I was reminded of the time when H dressed as Andal( with that Kondai and a garland) danced to “Vaaranam AAyiram” while we were in school. I could now vividly recall how authentic her depiction was, especially for the lines ‘Kaithalam patra kanaa knden thozhi naan” with her eyes half closed and the body supine. I was overcome by a sudden desire to visit the temple. I called up my sis who is now settled in Madurai and she surprisingly spoke of her plans to attend the Aadi pooram festival(that was yesterday-pooram being celebrated as Andal’sbirthday as that was the day  she was found as a baby in the nandavanam by Periyaazhvar). I was eager to hear her narrate her experience, but that was not to be.The sudden demise of her neighbour day before had stalled her plans.I was a tad disappointed that even a second hand experience was denied to me.

Last morning, I who never watches TV in the mornings,absent mindedly switched the TV on and was surfing the channels aimlessly and lo and behold! the Srivillipptthoor Aadipooram Ther(chariot) thiruvizha(the car festival) was being telecast live with two tamil scholars giving commentary about the festival on Vasanth Tv.I sat glued to the tv for 2 hours feeling all so blessed. In the afternoon I called up H, narrated the incident and wondered whether she remembered her performance some 35 years back.She had, obviously and was pleasantly surprised that I should recall that-that morning while being busy in her morning chores, she had heard Vaaranam Aayiram on the radio and was eager to share with someone, that she had performed to that song once upon a time! What a wonderful co-incidence!Surely a moment for me to cherish…
J wrote back to say ‘if it happens once or twice it’s co-incidence; if it happens again and again, it’s Providence’ !

No comments:

Post a Comment